In a time when companion animals are desperately needed for companionship across the nation, the usual transport options have been limited, and in some cases, non-existent. Prior to the pandemic there were multiple options for breeders to provide puppies, kittens, birds and other companions to their new families, and arrangements were quick, simple and cost-efficient.
As if all the restrictions themselves are not enough, confusion regarding what is and is not allowed has compounded pet transport even further. We will discuss this briefly here, but with a caution: In all instances follow basic CDC guidelines and use common sense when meeting with people.
In states with full lock-downs or quarantine for folks traveling in from other states there are definite issues for all transport services, so please research before making arrangements for your area.
Options available for most areas:
- Meeting in-person for a breeder-to-owner transfer. Travel by personal vehicle to meet a breeder or transporter is still an option in most instances.
- Airline shipping, using air-cargo services. While many breeders believe all air cargo services have been canceled, there have been several airlines offering domestic flights since mid-2020. We have been safely transporting puppies via air cargo for over 30 years and, while flight schedules are limited and there are more restrictions than in the past, we have continued to safely ship puppies across the US during this crisis - and we feel confident doing so. The airline staff members have been incredible!
- Domestic flights have been very reasonable, so in some cases owners are opting to fly into the Breeder's local airport for pick-up of their new puppy. The owner then travels back with their puppy in the cabin, as "carry-on". This is a great option, as long as protocols are followed.
- Airline shipping, in cabin, using an in-flight puppy nanny. Meeting with a flight nanny at the local airport for an in-person transfer of the puppy is still an option, as long as airlines are not shut down and the flight nanny can make a return flight within 24 hours of arrival.
- In some cases, a breeder may choose to personally fly their puppies to meet with their new owners. We sometimes offer this option depending upon our schedules. The same restrictions for regular flight nanny services apply here, in that the breeder is subject to airline availability as well as quarantine measures.
- Ground shipping, using professional or pet transport services. Some breeders transport use ground services. We do not use outside services for ground transport, but do offer hand-to-hand delivery into neighboring states. This can be a wonderful option, depending upon weather, and as long as state lock-downs do not affect travel across state lines.
This does not cover pricing differences, scams citing "cargo" options with special containers or a large number of other important "must knows" about transport; this is just so prospective owners (as well as breeders) know there are options still available. Carefully research any choices thoroughly before making a purchase or paying for transport!